October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the OctariusRx team is spreading the word and supporting the cause by promoting the annual campaign to increase awareness of this disease.
Do You Know Your Risk for Breast Cancer?
We don’t have ways to 100% prevent breast cancer, but getting regular screenings and being aware of risk factors are essential steps to take.
Breast cancer is much more common in women than in men, but men can develop it, too.
As you get older, your breast cancer risk increases. Most women are age 55 or older when they are diagnosed with breast cancer.
Breast cancer risk is higher among women who have personal or family history of breast cancer. Having a first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) with breast cancer increases a woman’s risk. However, most women with breast cancer do not have a first-degree relative with the disease.
Other risk factors for breast cancer include:
- Taking post-menopausal hormone therapy (especially combined estrogen and progestin therapy)
- Being overweight or obese, especially if weight is gained after menopause
- Drinking alcohol, especially more than one drink a day
- Being physically inactive
- Having a long menstrual history
- Never having children or having your first child after age 30
- Having had chest radiation to treat a different cancer
- Having a personal history of breast cancer
- Having certain benign (non-cancer) breast conditions
To learn more about breast cancer risk factors and the steps you can take to help reduce your risk, visit the American Cancer Society® website at cancer.org/breastcancer or call them at 1-800-227-2345.
Join the OctariusRx team in supporting the American Cancer Society in this worthy cause. You can start by testing your knowledge. Find out how much you know about breast cancer by taking the quiz provided by the American Cancer Society.
The Consultant Pharmacists at OctariusRx provide guidance on safe medication management, survey readiness and cost savings to ambulatory healthcare facilities/surgery centers, senior care facilities and pharmacies. We also help individual patients optimize their medications to improve their quality of life and save money. Contact us for assistance.