January is National Glaucoma Awareness Month. Glaucoma is a leading cause of irreversible vision loss in the United States. Early in the disease process there are no noticeable symptoms. Often, people don’t notice until the disease progresses, and vision loss has already occurred. Glaucoma involves damage to the eye’s optic nerve. If left untreated, vision loss could progress to total blindness.
What is your best defense against glaucoma related vision loss?
An annual comprehensive eye exam with an ophthalmologist is your best defense. As is usually the case, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Being proactive is easy and can save your vision.
At OctariusRx, we take this opportunity to recognize National Glaucoma Awareness Month and remind you to schedule your regular comprehensive eye exam, including a screening for glaucoma. Make your appointment today!
According to the Glaucoma Research Foundation, it is estimated that over three million Americans have glaucoma, but only half of those know they have it.
What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that causes vision loss through damage to the optic nerve. See the video below for a quick explanation from the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Are you at risk for developing glaucoma?
People at higher risk include those who:
- are over age 40
- have family members with glaucoma
- are of African, Hispanic, or Asian heritage
- have high eye pressure
- are farsighted or nearsighted
- have had an eye injury
- use long-term steroid medications
- have corneas that are thin in the center
- have thinning of the optic nerve and
- have diabetes, migraines, high blood pressure, poor blood circulation or other health problems affecting the whole body.
What can you do to protect your vision?
- Learn about your family history of glaucoma, along with any other risk factors you may have;
- Request a comprehensive eye exam (including a glaucoma screening) from your eye doctor; and
- Decrease your risks by managing the modifiable risk factors, such as keeping your blood pressure under control.
The Consultant Pharmacists at OctariusRx provide guidance on safe medication management, survey readiness and cost savings to ambulatory healthcare facilities/surgery centers, senior care facilities and pharmacies We also help individual patients optimize their medications to improve their quality of life and save money. Contact us for assistance.